Monday, March 23, 2009

Eliza Sick Again... and All About FHE...

These things always happen when Mark is out of town . . .

Last night was a very exciting and sleepless night for Eliza and me. She has had a fever for a few days and started with a little congestion last night before bed. Just after midnight she awoke in a panic. She was crying, speaking nonsense, coughing and pretty much hyperventilating. I quickly got her out of bed and held her upright to help her calm down. I gave her Tylenol to help with the fever that had spiked again and after about 30 minutes her breathing calmed down, although it was a bit labored still. I was a bit worried that she might have Croup, so I kept her in bed with me most of the night. She was quite restless and didn't fall asleep until some time after 2 AM and then awoke again in a bit of a panic, etc at about 5:30 AM... I was able to calm her quicker this time and then she told me she wanted to go back in her bed. So I put her back in the crib and she slept until about 9:30 am. She was doing much better in the morning but I decided to take her into the doctor anyway. It turns out that she has Tracheobronchitis (sp?) - a virus that attacks the throat and trachea causing swelling and difficulty breathing in young children. (Adults have larger trachea so it usually only manifests with a bit of laryngitis instead of breathing issues.) The symptoms are usually worse at night (kind of like Croup)... The doctor said that the virus was usually pretty predictable and that I could probably expect 1-2 more sleepless nights with similar symptoms and then things would progress into more cold-like syptoms. I called our Home Teacher, Brother Sherrill and he and Bother Smith came and gave Eliza a blessing tonight. She already seems to be doing better. The cold syptoms have begun and her cough is more productive and sounds like less of a bark. I just have to say that I am so grateful for priesthood blessings and a willing home teacher! I am hopeful that we will all get a better nights sleep tonight!

I was so focused on Eliza's illness today that I almost forgot about Family Home Evening. Sherman was good to remind me. He must have seen me looking at the lesson manual earlier in the day and realized that it was for FHE. Here are a few pictures of the kids doing their coloring activity.

Concentrating




To find out what the lesson was about, you will have to watch the video below.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

They are so adorable! That's so hard when the kids are sick! I'm amazed that you were still able to pull off a FHE lesson and get other things done with no sleep! I can't function. I hope that Eliza continues to get better!

Carrie Gibbs said...

They are so cute Alysson. I can't believe how much Eliza has grown. I'm glad she's feeling better.

They do exactly what Lauren does every time I try to get her on video. It's impossible, because she comes to the other side of the camera and says, "I wanna see!"

Hope you're all getting sleep now!

Beth said...

I think that everything always falls apart when Paul leaves. Usually I am the one to get sick, which I have to say I think is less stressful than a sick kid...usually. I worry so much more about kids than me. I hope that you can catch up on some sleep...the question is....when will that happen!